Port Canaveral is often seen as just a gateway for ocean cruises, but in reality, it has a lot more to offer.
Before you embark on your next sea adventure, why not take some time to explore the hidden gems this port city has in store?
Here are ten recommendations that’ll make your pre-cruise stay a memorable one:
- Visit the Exploration Tower: This seven-story structure offers a panoramic view of the port, Kennedy Space Center, and the Atlantic. It also houses interactive exhibits on the history and nature of Florida’s east coast.
- Grills Seafood Deck & Tiki Bar: Experience the true taste of Florida with fresh seafood and a beachy atmosphere. This waterside restaurant offers great views of the departing and arriving ships.
- Jetty Park Beach and Pier: This popular spot is perfect for a day out. Whether you’re looking to relax on the sandy beach, fish from the pier, or simply enjoy the serene ocean views, this place has something for everyone. It’s also the best place to see all of the cruise ships headed out to sea.
- Manatee Sanctuary Park: Covering 10 acres, this park promises relaxation and a chance to witness Florida’s gentle sea cows in their natural habitat. Take a stroll on its walking trails, enjoy a picnic, or try spotting manatees.
- Airboat Rides: Explore the backwaters of Florida by taking an exhilarating airboat tour. These rides provide a unique opportunity to get up close with alligators, eagles, and other native wildlife.
- Kennedy Space Center: Located just a short drive from Port Canaveral, this iconic center is a must-visit. Dive deep into the history of space exploration, touch a moon rock, meet astronauts, and experience the thrilling Shuttle Launch Experience.
- The Cove: This waterfront recreational area is teeming with restaurants, shops, and charter boats. It’s the ideal place to feel the vibrant pulse of Port Canaveral and enjoy some last-minute shopping.
- Port Canaveral’s Surfing and Watersports: Try paddle boarding, surfing, or kiteboarding. Several rental shops in the area can equip you with everything you need to enjoy the water.
- Explore the Cocoa Beach Pier: The pier stretches 800 feet over the Atlantic Ocean with shops, restaurants, and boutiques. Don’t miss noshing on a juicy fish sandwich at the Atlantic Ocean Grille. You can also spend your beach day here taking in the ocean views and catching the waves in iconic Florida Beach style. Bonus: Beach chairs and umbrellas are available for rent.
- Cape Canaveral Lighthouse: This historic lighthouse has guided sailors since the 19th century. Visiting here offers a glimpse into history and a beautiful vantage point to see the surrounding landscape.
Remember, vacations are as much about the journey as the destination. Taking the time to explore Port Canaveral’s offerings will undoubtedly enrich your overall cruise experience. Bon Voyage!
Ready to book your next cruise vacation? Email your favorite Love of the Magic Vacations Travel Agent or hello@LOTMV.com. You can also request a quote here.
Other Cruise Blog Posts to Consider
SPOTLIGHT ON DISNEY CRUISE LINE (AND WHETHER IT’S WORTH THE COST)
WHAT TO PACK AND KNOW FOR YOUR DISNEY CRUISE