Who’s ready for a Toy Story-themed Summertime BBQ? As we embark on the Summer months, we often think about family time, grilling or smoking something fabulous and enjoying the weather outdoors. But, that doesn’t mean that we can’t still incorporate some Disney magic into the afternoon or evening event. As I thought through the ideas and themes, I was quickly inspired by the new table-service restaurant Roundup Rodeo BBQ in Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World. Serving up traditional and classic BBQ grub, this popular new joint is the perfect inspiration for a summertime backyard BBQ. And who doesn’t love Woody, Buzz and friends! Let’s get creative and create your very own Roundup Rodeo BBQ event in your backyard this Summer!
Let’s explore all of the ways to easily create a magical Disney-inspired BBQ experience:
Toy Story Decorations
Table of Contents
One of the first things to consider when planning any BBQ are decorations. Since we are using Roundup Rodeo BBQ as our inspiration, our themed event will be heavily focused on the Toy Story movies and the beloved characters – Woody, Buzz, Jesse, and all the others! Here are some ways to bring them to life:
- Use Disney-themed tablecloths, napkins, and plates featuring our favorite characters
- Hang Disney banners or posters around the backyard or patio. Similar to the decorations you see in Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios, consider posters of the movies or of retro toys from the 70s, 80s and 90s to mimic those seen in the movies.
- Set up Disney-themed centerpieces, such as small figurines (I imagine the green army men!) or flower arrangements in the Toy Story bold colors!
Here are some ideas to get you started!
Even though it’s summertime and people like to dress light and airy, consider requesting Guests come dressed in their favorite character ensemble! Even if some don’t want to dress in full costume (it’ll be TOO hot!), dress in your favorite Toy Story character’s colors to represent them at the BBQ. To further encourage everyone to participate, you can provide accessories at the BBQ like mouse ears, sunglasses, hats and more! Need more ideas? Amazon can get you started, check out this link for more.
Toy Story Menu Planning
Ah, the fun stuff! It’s time to plan the menu. Let’s use the Roundup Rodeo BBQ restaurant menu as our inspiration for what we are going to cook/grill. Be sure to ask family and friends to contribute to the meal as well, they can bring appetizers, chips, side dishes or dessert. Here are a few ideas:
- To start: The Prospector’s Homemade Cheddar Biscuits, Wheezy’s Watermelon Salad and Rootin’ Tootin Tomato Salad
- For the main course: Evil Dr. Smoked Ribs | Buttercup’s Beef Brisket | There’s a Sausage in my Boot – Fire-grilled Pork Sausage | BBQ Chicken – with Style!
- And for the sides!: Mean Old Potato Salad, Force Field Fried Pickles, Campfire-roasted Vegetables, Cowpoke Corn on the Cob
- And to finish off an awesome night: Toy Story S’mores”: Classic s’mores made with character-themed marshmallows and chocolate.
Be sure to label the dishes with Toy Story-themed signs or cards to add a touch of magic.
No party or BBQ is complete without a signature drink or cocktail. Be sure to create refreshing beverages with Disney-inspired names. You can make non-alcoholic options as well for those youngins and adults alike to prefer no alcohol. Here are some ideas straight from the Roundup Rodeo menu!
- The Rodeo Mule (Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Lime Juice, Cane Sugar, Fever-Tree Ginger Beer)
- Rum on the Range (SelvaRey Chocolate Rum, RumChata Liqueur, Chocolate, Toasted Marshmallow)
- Snake Eye Margarita (Teremana Blanco Tequila, Watermelon Juice, Lime Juice, Agave, Smoked Chili Bitters)
- Grown-up’s Peanut Butter & Jelly (Frozen Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey, Minute Maid® Vanilla Smoothie Mix, Grape Jelly)
Toy Story Games and Activities
No BBQ is complete without games and activities, especially if you have little ones joining in the fun! Here are some great ideas to get you started for your Toy Story-themed BBQ:
- Set up a photo booth area with props and costumes accessories for Guests to take memorable pictures
- Organize Disney trivia contents to test everyone’s knowledge of Toy Story Disney movies! Have fun prizes for the winners.
- Have a Disney-themed scavenger hunt in your backyard – perhaps use old school, retro toys to hide and scatter around your yard like old GI Joe figures, green army men, hot wheels cars, Barbie accessories, etc. Here are some super fun ideas!
Music and Entertainment
- Create a playlist featuring all the Toy Story classics, even add some other Disney movie classics to keep your Guests singing along all night.
- Consider playing a Disney movie or have a projector set up to show clips from various movies throughout the BBQ. There are currently 4 Toy Story animated movies (with 1 more in the works!), so perhaps show the series of movies for your Guests.
Extra Desserts and Treats
When planning the menu, we shared an idea for dessert, but this can be expanded to include so much more!
Offer a variety of Disney-themed desserts such as cupcakes decorated with themed-colors or character toppers, Mickey-shaped cookies or ice cream, or a cake featuring one of the Toy Story characters!
Set up a popcorn station with flavored popcorn with Toy Story-themed popcorn containers – this will be perfect if you choose to play the Toy Story movies!!
And there you have it, the perfectly themed Toy Story backyard summertime BBQ. The ultimate goal is to create a magical atmosphere that brings the Disney spirit to your BBQ event. Bringing the Disney magic home is not that hard, it just needs a little imagination! Enjoy your BBQ and have a magical time with your Guests!
Are you ready to plan your vacation? It’s so easy!! Click here for your FREE Quote!A Love of the Magic travel advisor will get back to you as soon as possible so you can start planning today!